During pregnancy, our body mobilizes stored fat to provide fuel for our growing baby
Know what else gets mobilized? Stored toxins within those fat stores
Not ideal for a delicate, developing fetus to be exposed to a barrage of environmental toxins that are accumulated in your body!
A fertility cleanse encourages the liver to cleanse the body of these stored toxins & excess hormones BEFORE conception
It also supports the uterus to cleanse itself of old stagnant blood by increasing circulation & tonifying the uterine tissues – important for implantation!
Where do these toxins come from?
- Hormonal birth control
- Cigarette smoke
- Makeup, skin & body products
- Excess hormones
- Poor diet
- Conventionally grown meat & dairy
- Medications & antibiotics
Fertility cleansing is specific to 2 important systems for fertility: liver & uterus
The liver helps to filter toxins from the body including excess hormones
If there is an overabundance of estrogen, it is the liver’s job to remove it from the system.
Due to processed foods, empty calories, lack of phytonutrients, stressful lifestyle, use of toxic body products, chronic medication or alcohol consumption, the liver may need some stimulation and support to get rid of these substances.
By using herbs to support the liver, your body can better cope with oxidative stress from our modern world & positively impact your reproductive health
At the end of every menstrual cycle, the uterus releases its lining in what we know as our period
In some cases, the uterus is not completely cleansed, so old stagnant blood remains
This is not an ideal scenario for a fertilized egg to implant!
What causes the uterus to stagnate?
- Low uterine circulation
- Estrogen / Progesterone imbalance
- Unhealthy diet
- Shifted uterus
Through the use of specific herbs you can help support your uterine health, increase circulation & tonify the uterine muscles, all helping to promote a healthy uterine environment
Benefit of Fertility Cleansing
You’ve probably heard of a cleanse before, but did you know there’s a difference between a general cleanse and that of a fertility cleanse?
Below I have listed some of the differences between the two so you can see the benefits of cleansing specifically for fertility.
- Works with the phases of the menstrual cycle – Focusing on cleansing certain parts of the body during specific phases of the menstrual cycle is important. The liver phase of the fertility cleanse is done from the day after your period up until ovulation. Why? Because this is the STIMULATING phase of your cycle, perfect for encouraging the liver to work a little harder. The uterine phase of the fertility cleanse should be done from ovulation until the first day of your period. This is more of a NOURISHING phase of your cycle, when uterine herbs can help to support hormonal balance, increase uterine muscle tone and increase circulation right before the period begins.
- Whole Herbs – Cleanses come in many different forms; some are capsules and teas, some are fiber powders and drinks, while others are dramatic diet shifts. When it comes to fertility cleansing, using whole herbs in the form of teas, capsules, & liquid extract is more holistic, effective & gentle.
- Gentle, yet effective – When preparing for conception, you do NOT want to do anything really dramatic or potentially harmful, so focusing on cleansing in a gentle yet effective manner is important. While doing a fertility cleanse, there is no requirement for dramatic dietary changes (we do suggest a Fertility Diet taught in Holistic Fertility Method). There are no overly strong cleansing reactions while on the fertility cleanse except for some possible minor moodiness due to the liver cleansing itself. When toxins and hormones are being released, this can sometimes make one cranky, similar to PMS. This is good and can be helped by drinking more water.
Do You Need To Cleanse?
Remember this is important because of 3 reasons:
1. we are exposed to & accumulate many environmental toxins in our tissues
2. Our diets are often lacking in nutrients that support detoxification
3. Hormonal imbalance can lead to poor circulation & a stagnant uterine lining
Curious if you’d be a good candidate for a fertility cleanse? If you answered yes to 2 or more questions above, keep reading…
Fertility cleansing is best done using whole herbs as they are the safest way to encourage cleansing in the body
Below are some of the herbs used in fertility cleansing.
Liver Cleansing Herbs
Burdock Root: stimulates digestion, cleanses liver, aid hormonal balance
Milk Thistle Seed: liver detoxification of excess estrogen
Dandelion Root: stimulates digestion, cleanses liver, aid hormonal balance
Yellow Dock Root: stimulates bile production, aids in iron absorption
Licorice Root: adaptogen herb for endocrine system
Ginger Root: increases circulation, support healthy inflammation response & detox
Uterine Cleansing & Tonic Herb
Goldenseal Root: cleansing, antimicrobial & immune enhancer
Damiana Leaf: A female aphrodisiac, increases circulation to the reproductive system, increases libido
Dong Quai Root: iron-rich, supports uterine lining & tones uterine muscle, increases circulation
Peony Root: hormone balancing support, aids in pain reduction & relaxation, increases circulation
Raspberry Leaf: tones uterine muscles, normalize blood flow during period
Sounds pretty dreamy, am I right?
I freaking love herbal medicine!
Now that you have an idea of what kind of herbs you’ll be using in a fertility cleanse, I’ll walk you through the exact timing in which to use these herbs PLUS my favorite cleansing kit we use in our signature Holistic Fertility Method.
How to Perform a Fertility Cleanse
The Fertility Cleanse Kit by Fertilica is the best product I have found that supports a gentle cleanse.
It consists of 5 herbal products taken in two phases based on your monthly menstrual cycle. it is recommenced to begin the Fertility Cleanse once your period has ended.
Here are the two phases:
Phase 1: Day after your period ends to day of ovulation
- Fertilica Milk Thistle Seed Extract
- Fertilica Liver Cleanse Flushing Tea
- Fertilica Liver Renew Capsules
Phase 2: Day after ovulation to 1st day of period
- Fertilica Women’s Best Friend Capsules
- Fertilica Conceptions Tea
Many women want to see ‘signs’ that the Fertility Cleanse is working.
For some they may ‘feel’ different, get their periods back, notice spotting, see a shift in their cycles, experience relief from occasional menstrual cramps, & a lot of time, feel nothing at all.
Just because you don’t ‘feel’ any difference does not mean that the Fertility Cleanse did not work.
Remember, the Fertility Cleanse is SUPPORTING the body in its normal functions, it works for each person to help nourish & support the liver and uterus in preparation for conception.
Fertility Cleanse Tips & Tricks
While fertility cleansing, it is best to not take additional “new” herbs or supplements unless they are your multivitamin, omega 3, or fertility superfoods.
During the Fertility Cleanse, it is not mandatory that you change your eating habits, BUT it is a great time to begin moving towards a fertility-friendly diet.
We suggest that couples refrain from trying to conceive during the month of a Fertility Cleanse
We do not suggest that the Fertility Cleanse be performed while on birth control or other hormonal medications.
Do not cleanse during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. The herbs in the Fertility Cleanse are not to be used while pregnant or breastfeeding.
We suggest to complete a Fertility Cleanse twice a year.
Interested in completing a Fertility Cleanse before Conception? Feel free to book a call with us to see if our signature program Holistic Fertility Method is right for you!