Noticing your part getting wider? Filling the shower drain with hair? Or brushing out clumps of locks? One of the worst things a woman can go through is losing her hair. Hair is an expression of our personality, beauty, and confidence.
Therefor, if you notice accelerated hair loss, you’ll want to get it figured out fast. Hair loss may be a sign of a deeper hormonal imbalances that render a trip to the doctor.
Blood Tests to consider for Hair Loss:
- CBC and ferratin
- Thyroid panel ( TSH, total T3/T4, free T3/T4, reverse T3, anti-TPO, anti thyroglobulin)
- Antinuclear antibodies, celiac panel, Cyrex Array 5
- High Sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP) and erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)
- FSH, LH, estrogen, and progesterone
- Total/free testosterone, DHT
- Cortisol, DHEA-S
- Fasting insulin, fasting blood glucose, and hemoglobin A1C
- Heavy metals
From these tests, one can help rule out the causes of hair loss.
Possible Causes of Hair Loss
- Iron deficiency (ferratin below 50 ng/mL),
- Autoimmune condition (Hashimotos, celieacs, etc – all reveal themselves with hair loss)
- Elevated androgens (excess testosterone is associated with male pattern baldness)
- Low estrogen (could point to a root cause of HPA axis dysfunction, low body fat percentage, over exercising and amenorrhea)
- Prediabetes (lack of sugar regulation can decrease circulation to the scalp)
- Heavy metal toxicity (teeth fillings, eating non-organic rice, or a career as a welder could all lead to toxicity and hair loss).
What to do About Hair Loss Right Now
While you wait to get your blood tests back from your doctor, there are some natural remedies and supplements available to help with hair loss and regrow those precious locks.
- Iron (we love Thorne Prenatal which contains ferrous bisglycinate chelate)
- B Complex (we love Thorne Stress B Complex)
- Adaptogenic herbs – including Rhodiola / Holy Basil / Ashwaganda to reduce high cortisol (we love Gaia Herbs Adrenal Health)
- Saw Palmetto / Pumpkin Seeds / Stinging Nettle / Green Tea Extract – if you have high testosterone (we love Gaia Herbs Prostate Complex)
- Freshly Ground Flaxseed / Pumpkin Seed – try 2T. per day to help increase estrogen
- Chia Seeds / Walnuts – high in omega-3s and help to decrease inflammation.
- Eliminate alcohol, NSAIDs, gluten, dairy, soy, and inorganic foods- reduces inflammation and burden on the detoxification processes of your liver
- Sleep 8 hrs per night by allowing for 1 hour of wind-down time before bed.
- Exercise – increases circulation, reduces stress, and improves body fat percentage (we love 2-3 days of strength training, 2 days of cardio, and 1-2 days of yoga)
Above all, we hope that you find genuine support during this tough time. Consider a Functional Medicine or Integrative doctor. If you are in need of a trusting coach who gets it, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Good luck!